Tex Mex Jackfruit from The Jackfruit Company comes together with chickpeas to make a hearty and flavorful burger patty. When assembled with toasty tortillas and melted vegan cheese, they create a Quesadilla Burger that pairs perfectly with salsa, guacamole, and vegan sour cream.
Chickpea & Jackfruit Quesadilla Burgers
Chickpea & Jackfruit Burgers
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 package Tex Mex Jackfruit from the Jackfruit Company
- 2 tbsp milled chia seeds
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1.5 tsp chicken bouillon seasoning we use Jada Chicken Salt
- 1 package vegan cheddar shreds we use Follow Your Heart brand
- 8 mini flour tortillas
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add chickpeas, jackfruit, chia seeds, chickpea flour, and chicken bouillon seasoning to food processor and pulse seven times, for about one second per pulse. Alternately, add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and use a masher to break down the chickpeas until well combined.
- Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to separate the mixture into four even portions. Lightly dampen your hands with water and roll each section into a ball then flatten until about 1/2 inch thick. Spray a baking sheet with an even layer of cooking spray. Place patties on sheet evenly apart and bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until both sides are a deep golden brown.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Place flour tortillas in the pan 2 at a time. Top each tortilla with a generous tablespoon of vegan shredded cheese. Cover with a lid for about 5 minuted until cheese begins to melt. Place a burger patty on one of the tortillas and use the remaining tortilla to top the burger. Remove from skillet and place on cutting board to slice into halves or quarters and serve with salsa, guacamole, or vegan sour cream of your choice.
Committed to making plant-based eating more accessible for everyone, Jessica Carter develops simple and delicious vegan recipes and coordinates collaborations with vegan brands to help people make more sustainable and compassionate buying choices. Her recipes have been featured on FOX45 Baltimore, Let’s Talk Live, and Good Morning Washington. She completed the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Program in March 2019.