This recipe from Miyoko’s is transformed into a flavorful handheld dish by wrapping and baking succulent sautéed mushrooms into flaky pastry dough.
Brown Butter Mushroom Turnovers
- 4 tbsp Miyoko’s European style cultured vegan butter
- 1 ½ lbs Sliced mixed mushrooms crimini, shiitake, oyster, king trumpet, etc
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tarragon (or ½ teaspoon dry tarragon)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust
- ¼ cup water for sealing edges of crust
- Prepare mushrooms according to Miyoko’s recipe. Set aside to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Create 3-4 inch diameter dough discs from each roll of pie crust using glass or round cookie cutter. Should create 20 discs total.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of mushrooms to half of the discs. Use fingertips to moisten the edges with water and press firmly to seal. Follow by pressing the edges of the crust with a fork around each pastry. Poke the top of each turnover with a fork to release steam during the baking process.
- Evenly distribute the pastries on a baking sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are brown.
- Allow to cool for around 5 minutes before serving.
Committed to making plant-based eating more accessible for everyone, Jessica Carter develops simple and delicious vegan recipes and coordinates collaborations with vegan brands to help people make more sustainable and compassionate buying choices. Her recipes have been featured on FOX45 Baltimore, Let’s Talk Live, and Good Morning Washington. She completed the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Program in March 2019.