- 1 cup dry textured vegetable protein or 1 package vegan ground meat (try Beyond Meat Tofurky, or Gimme Lean) (optional), TVP
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans of beans drained and rinsed (kidney black, and pinto are good choices). Add a third can of beans if not using vegan ground meat or TVP.
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 zucchini chopped
- If using TVP, start by heating a few teaspoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add the TVP and toast over medium-high heat, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Toasting the TVP will give the texture a bit more of a bite and keep it from getting at all soggy. Bring 1 cup of water or vegetable broth to a boil and pour over the TVP. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes. Next add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, jalapeno (if using), chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, soaked TVP or vegan ground meat (if using), carrots, and bell pepper. Cover and turn down heat. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the beans, corn, and zucchini and simmer uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve with rice or pasta and top with vegan sour cream, if desired.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!