Growing up my mom made the best dirty rice. It was one of my favorite dishes. My interpretation of this soul food classic swaps quinoa for rice and meatless crumbles for Italian sausage. The result is a savory dish that’s high in fiber, essential minerals and protein.
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups Quinoa any variety will work
- 1 package of Beef-less Crumbles we suggest Trader Joe’s brand
- ½ Green Bell Pepper Diced
- ½ large white onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon paste
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup finely minced fresh parsley
- Prepare quinoa with water or broth according to package instructions.
- In a large pan, combine all remaining ingredients – except parsley – and dry sautée over medium heat for approximately 15 minutes until aromatic and heated through.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add quinoa and parsley to the pan. Gently fold in until all ingredients are well combined.
- Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Committed to making plant-based eating more accessible for everyone, Jessica Carter develops simple and delicious vegan recipes and coordinates collaborations with vegan brands to help people make more sustainable and compassionate buying choices. Her recipes have been featured on FOX45 Baltimore, Let’s Talk Live, and Good Morning Washington. She completed the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Program in March 2019.