This festive take on the loaded baked potato brings together a variety of holiday flavors in a single dish. Hearty roasted jackfruit, savory caramelized onion and mushroom gravy, and vibrant veggies inject bold flavors into the basic baked potato.
Roasted Jackfruit and Gravy Loaded Baked Potato
- 2 medium Russet potatoes thoroughly washed and blotted dry
- 1 cup mushrooms (any variety) washed and sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, any variety sliced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen kale or spinach
- 1 cup jackfruit in brine drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp vegan chicken bouillon we use Jada Chicken Salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter or vegetable oil replace with water or vegetable broth to make it oil-free!
- 1 package vegan gravy mix we suggest Simply Organic or Leahey Gardens Golden or Creamy Gravy Mix
- 1 cup water you can also use vegetable broth
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 handful parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Prick the potatoes with a fork 3-4 times. Lay on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the potatoes are baking, line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and lightly coat with an even layer of cooking oil spray. In a mixing bowl add the chopped jackfruit along with ½ tsp thyme, ½ tsp vegan chicken bouillon, 1 tsp garlic powder, and remaining spices (except for the sea salt) and mix until evenly coated. Spread in an even layer on the baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes in the oven until edges are golden brown and most of the moisture has dried out of the jackfruit . Remove from oven and set aside.
- Add kale or spinach to a pan with diced carrots and salt. Heat on medium low for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are warmed through and carrots are just becoming tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add oil or butter to a pan and heat over medium flame until pan sizzles when sprinkled with water. Add onions and mushrooms and remaining spices and cover with a lid. Allow to cook with the lid on, undisturbed, for about 5 minutes. This will allow the mushrooms and onions to simultaneously caramelize on the bottom and steam which accelerates the cooking process. Remove the lid and continue to saute with a spatula for another 5-7 minutes until the vegetables have deep brown color and the onions are soft and glossy. Add water and gravy mix and whisk until well combined. Simmer for about a minute until thickened.
- Slice baked potatoes in half lengthwise. Spoon in a generous portion of gravy followed by heaping spoonfuls of steamed veggies and jackfruit. Top with more gravy and garnish with chopped parsley.
Committed to making plant-based eating more accessible for everyone, Jessica Carter develops simple and delicious vegan recipes and coordinates collaborations with vegan brands to help people make more sustainable and compassionate buying choices. Her recipes have been featured on FOX45 Baltimore, Let’s Talk Live, and Good Morning Washington. She completed the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Program in March 2019.