A perfect pairing with your vegan latte, warming spices and real pumpkin make this Pumpkin Pie Spice cake as good as made-from-scratch.
Whipping up a cake is quick, easy, and affordable when you utilize “accidentally vegan” cake mixes like Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines! If you’re craving more flavors, check out two more simple cake recipes for Chocolate Coconut Dream Cake and Strawberry Lemonade Cake from our series where we “hack” grocery store cake mixes to make them vegan.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Cake
- 1 box Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, or Duncan Hines Yellow or Spice Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice divided in half
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon divided in half
- Cooking oil spray
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add cake mix, pumpkin puree, and ginger ale to a large mixing bowl. Add 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice and 1 tsp ground cinnamon and whisk until well combined.
- Evenly coat a bundt cake pan with cooking oil spray. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the batter from the bowl into the pan and spread evenly. Bake for 33–36 minutes. Remove from the Oven and set aside to cool for 20 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, add confectioner’s sugar and remaining pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon to a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- To remove the cake from at pan, use a butter knife and gently scrape down to release any cake that may be sticking to the edges or center of the pan. Place a plate top-side-down over the pan. Place one hand firmly in the center of the plate and use the other hand to flip the cake pan upside down. After allowing the pan to sit on top of the plate for a few moments, remove the pan – this time ensures that gravity aids in releasing the cake fully from the pan.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar mix to a sifter and dust evenly over the top of the cake. Slice and serve.
Committed to making plant-based eating more accessible for everyone, Jessica Carter develops simple and delicious vegan recipes and coordinates collaborations with vegan brands to help people make more sustainable and compassionate buying choices. Her recipes have been featured on FOX45 Baltimore, Let’s Talk Live, and Good Morning Washington. She completed the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Program in March 2019.
I tend to not like cake mixes. Can you tell us how to make this from scratch?