These Strawberry Creme Gem candies have a dark chocolate shell and a fruity coconut filling. Together, they make a perfect balance of flavors that are tart, sweet, and rich. Best of all, this recipe only calls for five ingredients!
Vegan Strawberry Creme Gems
- 1 12oz bag vegan chocolate chips We recommend Trader Joe’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 1.2oz bag freeze-dried strawberries We recommend Trader Joe’s Brand
- 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup coconut butter you can also use cashew butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Fill a medium saucepan about ¼ full with water and bring to a simmer.
- Place a heat-safe bowl on top of the pot so that the steam touches the base of the bowl.
- Add the vegan chocolate chips to the bowl and stir occasionally with a spatula until smooth and melted.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and set aside.
- If necessary, melt the coconut butter and coconut oil in the double boiler using the same method used to melt the chocolate, and set aside. (Coconut butter and oil may be soft or liquid at room temperature)
- Grind the freeze-dried berries into a powder using a food processor or blender. You can also break them down to a powder by pouring them into a freezer bag and gently pounding them with a rolling pin. NOTE: Be sure to remove the small fresh pack from the strawberries before grinding. The contents are not safe for consumption.
- To make the strawberry crème filling, pour the ground strawberries, confectioners’ sugar, and melted coconut oil and butter into a mixing bowl and stir until evenly combined. The texture should be similar to sandy clay. Set in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Take your silicone candy molds and fill each one about 1/3 of the way full with melted chocolate. NOTE: If you use the suggested mold, this will be about ½ tsp.
- Remove the strawberry crème filling from the refrigerator and add about ¼ tsp of the filling to each of the molds.
- Use about ½ tsp of melted chocolate to cover the filling and evenly fill each mold. Place in the freezer to firm for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove candies from the silicone mold and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.
Special Tools: Silicone Candy mold (We recommend the Silicone Gem Mold)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Committed to making plant-based eating more accessible for everyone, Jessica Carter develops simple and delicious vegan recipes and coordinates collaborations with vegan brands to help people make more sustainable and compassionate buying choices. Her recipes have been featured on FOX45 Baltimore, Let’s Talk Live, and Good Morning Washington. She completed the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Program in March 2019.