Enjoy the sweet and tangy taste of strawberry lemonade as a dessert!
Whipping up a cake is quick, easy, and affordable when you utilize “accidentally vegan” cake mixes like Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines! If you’re craving more flavors, check out two more simple cake recipes for Chocolate Coconut Dream Cake and Pumpkin Pie Spice Cake from our series where we “hack” grocery store cake mixes to make them vegan.
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
- 1 box Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, or Duncan Hines yellow or lemon cake mix
- 1 cup lemon sparkling water or lemon lime soda
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced divided in half
- Cooking oil spray
- Allow frozen strawberries to thaw. Blend to make a smooth puree. Measure ½ cup of the puree to use in the cake mix and set the rest aside to use in the glaze.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add cake mix, sparkling water or soda, 1/2 of the lemon juice, and ½ cup of strawberry puree to a large mixing bowl whisk until well combined. Evenly coat a 13 x 9 in baking pan with cooking oil spray. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the batter into the bowl and sooth it evenly into the pan. Bake the cake for 23-25. Set aside and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, add confectioner’s sugar, lemon juice, and remaining strawberry puree to a mixing bowl. Whisk until a thick smooth glaze is formed.
- When the cake is cool to the touch, drizzle the glaze over the cake, slice, and serve.
Committed to making plant-based eating more accessible for everyone, Jessica Carter develops simple and delicious vegan recipes and coordinates collaborations with vegan brands to help people make more sustainable and compassionate buying choices. Her recipes have been featured on FOX45 Baltimore, Let’s Talk Live, and Good Morning Washington. She completed the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Program in March 2019.