Vegan Apple Crisp
- 5 or 6 apples
- ½ cup maple or agave syrup
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg optional
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup coconut oil chilled
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Chop the apples and toss them in a bowl with the maple syrup, lemon zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg (if using). Place them in a lightly oiled 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and oats. Cut the coconut oil into the flour, crumbling it into pea-sized pieces. Add the applesauce and brown sugar, mixing just until the flour is moistened. Spread the oat mixture over the apples.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes and serve warm — it’s especially delicious over dairy-free vanilla ice cream.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!