Vegan Classic Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup dairy-free milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan butter try Earth Balance
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons dairy-free milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a cupcake tin by placing baking liners into each of the cups.
- In a small bowl, slowly mix the oil, vinegar, and vanilla into the dairy-free milk, allowing it to curdle. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the flour mixture and stir gently, being very careful not to over-mix. Once combined, spoon the batter into each of the lined cupcake cups, filling each about ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes in the tray. Once cool enough to touch, remove from the tray and cool the rest of the way on a cookie rack.
- Buttercream Frosting: While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the buttercream. Start by whipping the vegan butter with an electric mixer or by hand until slightly soft and smooth. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Add the full 4 cups for a sweeter and stiffer frosting.
- Mix in the vanilla, salt, and a little bit of the dairy-free milk until your desired consistency is reached. Spread or pipe the frosting onto the completely cooled cupcakes in whatever fashion you like and enjoy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!