Vegan Meatballs with Salsa Verde Recipe
- 2 cups “beef” crumbles or textured vegetable protein
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk
- ½ cup onion finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint minced
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 ½-2 cups vital wheat gluten or finely ground oats
- 1 can tomatillos drained
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 in chipotle peppersadobo
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- If using TVP, soak in hot water for 20 minutes. No soaking is required for the crumbles.
- Soak bread crumbs in dairy-free milk until they have absorbed the milk. Then, add soaked bread crumbs, onion, mint, cilantro, oregano, salt, pepper, and bouillon to the beef crumbles or TVP.
- Mix in vital wheat gluten or ground oats until consistency is firm enough to form balls.
- Form each ball with 2 tablespoons of the mixture and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the meatballs start to get crispy; remove from oven.
- To make the salsa, blend all ingredients and pour into a large frying pan. Simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Add meatballs to salsa and cook together, simmering for 20 minutes, covered.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!