Vegan Mint Chocolate Cake
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 12-ounce bag dairy-free chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 candy cane or 6 peppermint candies crushed (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350oF. Grease and flour your baking pan(s).
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together until blended. Separately, whisk together the water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry and stir gently until mixed.
- Once smooth, pour the batter into the pan(s) and bake for 20-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and the cake edges have pulled away from the pan.
- Separately, melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler over low heat. Once completely smooth and melted, add the dairy-free milk a little at a time. Finally add the peppermint extract. If too thick, add a few tablespoons more of dairy-free milk at a time, until the desired consistency is reached. Let icing and cake cool completely before frosting.
- After frosting, sprinkle with peppermint candies for decoration, if desired.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!