Vegan Sausage Gumbo
- ¼ cup vegetable oil divided
- 1 pound fresh or frozen okra sliced
- 1 package vegan sausages sliced (try Tofurky or Field Roast Italian sausages)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 16-ounce can black beans
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce to taste optional
- Heat half the oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Pan fry the sliced okra until lightly browned and set aside. Lightly fry the sausage pieces and set aside.
- Combine flour and remaining oil in a stockpot, stirring constantly. Brown the flour roux over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, thyme, oregano, and cumin. Cook for 1 minute on medium heat, stirring frequently. Add the okra, celery, bell pepper, vegetable stock, tomatoes, and black beans and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in veggie sausage and cook 5 minutes more or until thoroughly heated. Add salt and Tabasco if desired. Serve over rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!