Original recipe by Brazilian chef Marina Corbucci, adapted into ingredients available in the US by Compassion Over Killing Director of Outreach, Simone de Lima.
Pão Sem Queijo, Brazilian Cheese Bread
- 3 cups cooked mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup polvilho azedo (sour yucca starch, found in Brazilian stores or online)
- 1 1/2 cups polvilho doce (sweet yucca starch)
- 1 cup + 4 Tbsp canola or sunflower oil
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Boil potatoes until fork-tender, set aside to cool.
- Peel and mash potatoes in a large bowl and add all remaining ingredients.
- Mix until you achieve a uniform and firm batter that doesn't stick to the bottom of the bowl. If after some time the batter still looks chunky or floury, add hot water in small amounts. If it's too liquid, add more of the yucca starches.
- Spray a cookie sheet with a thin layer of oil. Roll the dough into bite-size balls, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place on cookie sheet with some space apart as they will puff up during baking. If you are not ready to bake, you can freeze the sheet of cheese balls to bake later.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, checking frequently. The bread balls should puff up and be golden brown.
- Serve immediately and share these delicious dairy-free Brazilian cheese balls with friends and family. Cows and the environment will say: Obrigada!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!