Blend butternut squash with almond milk, seasonings, and nutritional yeast to create a creamy vegan sauce perfect for topping your favorite pasta.
Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta
- 12 oz butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced
- ⅔ cup plain unsweetened almond milk we used plain unsweetened Milkadamia, but any variety of plant milk should work well.
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ lemon juiced
- 8 oz rigatoni noodles or pasta of choice
- dried parsley for garnish
Vegan Parmesan Sprinkles
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds walnuts or cashews would also work well
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Steam butternut squash in a saucepan over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Squash should be pierced easily with a fork. Drain and rinse with cool water. Add squash, seasonings, lemon juice, almond milk and nutritional yeast to a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook pasta in a sauce pan according to package instructions. Drain the pasta and return to the pan. Top with the butternut squash sauce and gently mix until evenly coated over medium heat. Cover with a lid and allow to heat until gently simmering - about five minutes.
- To make the vegan parmesan sprinkles, add sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, and sea salt to a blender or food processor and grind until it forms and even sandy texture. Store in an airtight container for several weeks in the refrigerator.
- Portion out servings of the butternut squash pasta and top with parmesan sprinkles and a dash of dried parsley to serve.
You can find Milkadamia products here.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Committed to making plant-based eating more accessible for everyone, Jessica Carter develops simple and delicious vegan recipes and coordinates collaborations with vegan brands to help people make more sustainable and compassionate buying choices. Her recipes have been featured on FOX45 Baltimore, Let’s Talk Live, and Good Morning Washington. She completed the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Program in March 2019.
Nutritional yeast should be in many more recipes. I always keep a jar on hand and I’m excited to use it in this recipe.
This looks so creamy and delish! Can’t wait to try!
I have a ton of nutritional yeast on hand! I will be sure to try this in the near future!
This looks amazing and yummy!!!
I love how creamy this pasta turns out. Thank you for sharing!
I’m a total fan of nutritional yeast! I love how well it works in this dish.
Just made this yesterday! Everyone loved it!