VegWeek is here and we’re bringing you a simple and tasty new vegan recipe for Creamy Chipotle Kale and Sausage Pasta made with Treeline Chipotle Serrano Pepper Cheese.
Creamy Chipotle Kale and Sausage Pasta
- 1 12 oz box penne pasta
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 vegan sausage links sliced
- 1 package Treeline Chipotle Serrano Pepper Cheese
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce roughly chopped
- 5 leaves kale thinly sliced
- 1 8 oz bag frozen butternut squash thawed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 1 tsp tapioca starch or cornstarch optional
- 1 ½ cups plain unsweetened almond milk or plant milk of choice
- 1 handful cilantro finely chopped
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, rinse with cool water and set aside.
- Add butternut squash, Treeline cheese, salt, nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, almond milk, and chipotle peppers to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and onions and peppers and sauté for about 5 minutes until lightly caramelized. Add sliced sausage and garlic and sauté until browned. Add kale and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes until kale is heated through.
- Add pasta and blended sauce to skillet and gently stir until evenly mixed. Reduce heat to medium low and cover with a lid for 7-10 minutes, until simmering. Garnish with cilantro and scallions and serve!
Committed to making plant-based eating more accessible for everyone, Jessica Carter develops simple and delicious vegan recipes and coordinates collaborations with vegan brands to help people make more sustainable and compassionate buying choices. Her recipes have been featured on FOX45 Baltimore, Let’s Talk Live, and Good Morning Washington. She completed the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Program in March 2019.