Vegan Sloppy Joes Sandwiches
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 1½ cups dry textured vegetable protein TVP
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cups tomato sauce or puréed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium green bell peppers diced
- Bring the broth to a boil and pour over the TVP.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the soaked TVP to the onions. Cook the TVP for a few minutes.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients except the peppers and turn down heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring often, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook for about 5 more minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve warm in burger buns or over bread
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!