I’ve updated my simple baked donuts recipe to create something even simpler and more decadent: double chocolate strawberry donuts! All you need is a boxed vegan-friendly brownie mix, apple sauce, and soda water, plus melted chocolate chips and crushed freeze-dried strawberries for a snappy coating that you’ll love.
Double Chocolate Strawberry Donuts
- 1 cup vegan friendly brownie mix check ingredients list to make sure its vegan
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup club soda
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- Cooking oil spray
- 1/2 cup melted chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 cup vegan chocolate coated freeze-dried strawberries roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined. Add applesauce and soda water and mix thoroughly. Spray donut pan with a layer of cooking spray. Add about ⅓ cup of batter to each cavity.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until donuts are solid to the touch.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan and placing on a cooling rack for at least another 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil by placing into glass or ceramic bowl and microwaving for 30 seconds. Stir together until smooth. Heat in additional 10 second intervals if necessary, stirring continuously to chive a smooth sauce texture.
- Spread an even layer of chocolate glaze onto the base of the donuts. Finish by sprinkling with an even layer of chocolate strawberry pieces. Allow to set for 20-30 minutes before eating. Can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Committed to making plant-based eating more accessible for everyone, Jessica Carter develops simple and delicious vegan recipes and coordinates collaborations with vegan brands to help people make more sustainable and compassionate buying choices. Her recipes have been featured on FOX45 Baltimore, Let’s Talk Live, and Good Morning Washington. She completed the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Program in March 2019.