Good Catch Food’s delicious fish-free tuna stars in this Mediterranean tuna-less casserole adapted from a recipe from Martha Stewart’s website. We pumped up the protein and made this dish gluten-free by using chickpea pasta. The dish comes together in a matter of minutes with creamy sauce made with vegan parmesan, almond milk, and tapioca starch.
This delicious dish can be consumed guilt-free, knowing that you’re not contributing to fish cruelty like what we discovered at Cooke Aquaculture, which supplies salmon to Martha Stewart’s True North line. You can take action to protect fish by watching and sharing the illuminating video at animaloutlook.org.
Mediterranean Tuna-less Casserole
- 8 oz dry pasta we used chickpea fusilli
- 2 packages Good Catch Fish-Free Tuna any variety will work
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk or plant milk of choice
- 1 Tbsp tapioca starch corn or potato starch will also work
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan shreds we used Follow Your Heart brand
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and minced garlic. Cook for about two minutes until it begins to sizzle and becomes fragrant. Add bell pepper, half of the scallions and oregano and sauté for an additional 3-5 minutes. Add in fish-free tuna and sauté for another 2-3 minutes until heated through. Remove from the heat and add to a dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl add tapioca starch and 1 Tbsp of almond milk and mix until a thick smooth paste forms. Add remaining almond milk to skillet and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly to loosen any food particles from the surface of the pan. At tapioca starch paste and stir until evenly combined into liquid – it should begin to thicken after about a minute. Add vegan parmesan shreds and mix into liquid for about a minute - until evenly combined.
- Add fish-free tuna, vegetable, and noodle mixture back into skillet. Stir until evenly coated with the parmesan sauce. Continue to heat for another 3-4 minutes until all ingredients are warmed through.
- Top with remaining scallions and serve with a fresh salad or steamed vegetables.
Committed to making plant-based eating more accessible for everyone, Jessica Carter develops simple and delicious vegan recipes and coordinates collaborations with vegan brands to help people make more sustainable and compassionate buying choices. Her recipes have been featured on FOX45 Baltimore, Let’s Talk Live, and Good Morning Washington. She completed the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Program in March 2019.